The High Line in New York


Forgive me my absence: over the past few weeks, my presence was demanded elsewhere. In far-away cities and my new hometown in the USA, to be precise! I have successfully moved to the 'New World', where a semester full of research, challenges and burgers awaits me. I've already been out and about exploring several states, which means that I'll be updating you on my discoveries the next couple of weeks.

Because my journey started in New York City, it only seems fair to kick off my American series of blog entries with an activity I undertook in the Big Apple... Hence I present to you The High Line: an urban park/trail built on a historic freight rail line.

Some three floors above the streets of Manhattan's Meatpacking District and Chelsea, you can find yourself amidst flowers, trees and works of art. Whether you look up to the tall buildings curving over you or admire the park's vegetation, resembling wild growth that was overrunning the tracks: this trail in the sky will definitely spark your interest. It's an ideal spot for a stroll, lunch break, picnic with friends, quick nap in a lounge chair or a romantic escape from the city.

High rise as seen from the High Line ©Maaike
Art everywhere ©Maaike
The thing I like most about The High Line is that, even though it has been recycled into something completely new, it still pays homage to New York's industrial past. It is possible to find subtle remnants of the railway as you walk up or down the trail — remnants that, to me, have an alluring beauty. Sometimes it saddens me that historic structures are being sacrificed so easily for the sake of modernisation nowadays, but The High Line shows that you can perfectly mix old and new. It's strange to think The High Line wouldn't even have existed, were it not for a couple of community residents wanting to prevent the historic structure from being demolished!

The subtle remnants of the railway tracks ©Maaike
Activity below ©Maaike
The High Line can be accessed via any of the access points listed here. Entrance is free and you're welcome to bring your own (non-alcoholic) drinks — although there are plenty of food vendors on the trail. For more information, visit the official website

2 comments:

Feel free to write me a comment in your own language!